'T Lansink, since 1916
Hengelo was very long a purely agricultural town with virtually no industry. According to the census of the Land Registry of June 9, 1832 Hengelo had only a few cottage industries such as tanneries, breweries, oil and flour mills.
In 1854 the Royal Factory of hosiery Denekamp moved to Hengelo. Hengelo was freed in 1865 out of isolation by the construction of the railway Almelo - Salzbergen. In February 1865 the first station was officially opened.
By the advent of the railways was cheap supply of coal for the production of the required energy. This made the Dutch Trading Company decide to establish a cotton weaving in Hengelo. In 1865 this resulted in the opening of the Dutch cotton mill near the station. In 1868 followed the establishment of the Machine factory Stork and Meyling (this was formerly located in Borne).
These industries Hengelo became a core industry. The population grew from 4687 in 1866 to 6603 inhabitants in 1880. In 1910 the population had grown to 20,552 people. This almost explosive growth of the population, came as a result of industrial development and the increasing demand for labourers. The housing shortage and the poor state of the existing homes in Hengelo gave the call or a rise of good and affordable housing. In the years 1909 and 1910 there were in the New Hengelo Courant many ads of house hunters.
The nomination of Mr. J. H. Faber, Superintendent of Health in Zwolle, on February 4, 1909 in the Salon of the engineering Stork entitled "Workers '", might be considered as a direct response to the construction of the Tuindorp' t Lansink. His nomination was based on a survey conducted by him, to housing conditions in the Netherlands. This research was published in 1904 under the title "Talking Numbers, Property states in the Netherlands"
Mr. Faber compared in his introduction the working class houses that were built in England with those in Germany. He gave in his speech his clear preference for the English garden villages above the barracks building the Germans. Furthermore Faber gave the relationship that exists between living in poor housing and poor health status of people. Due to poor labourers houses many workers were suffering from typhoid, tuberculosis and increase infant mortality.
Under the hearing of Mr. Faber was among others Mr. C. F. Stork. For him, the introduction of Mr. Faber reason to agree to take a look in England. There were the Port Sunlight, which by Lever Brothers soap manufacturers, was built, and later visited the garden village situated Bournville.
During this English rose visit with Mr. Stork thought to found such a 'residential colony’ in Hengelo. In Hengelo’s Factory Harbinger of May 7, 1910 mention was made of the construction plans.
In 1865 the Hengelo’s building society added a new leg; Department Tuindorp 't Lansink. This new department gave the architect Charles Muller and the landscaper Peter Wattez, the commission to design a project for the construction of a residential colony where workers, officers and directors can live together. The goal of the project was to come to the construction of a colony with good housing for workers and clerks, in a pleasant and fresh environment.
The tea house, Stork had built in 1916, was considered the social center of the neighbourhood. Since 1921, when the teahouse was given an extra floor, the building has remained unchanged and has retained its distinctive historical monumental character. In 2016 't Lansink will celebrate its 100th anniversary.